American soccer writing, history & data.
For the 1929-30 season, the Division A of the Wisconsin State Soccer Football League added Deutscher Sport Club of Milwaukee which was moved up from Class B the previous season. Division B dropped from six to four teams with the promotion of Deutscher Sport Club and the withdrawal of the Vienna A.C. second team. The WSSFL continued the traditional fall and spring halves of the schedule with a winter break.
During the fall of 1929, Vienna A.C. and F.C. Wacker of Milwaukee, and the Nash Twin Sixes of Kenosha entered the National Challenge Cup qualifying rounds. The latter team was an all-star aggregation composed of members of Viking A.C. and Ke-Nash-A. In the NCC preliminary round held on October 6, 1929, the Twin Sixes beat Vienna A.C. 3-0 at Nash Stadium in Kenosha and F.C. Wacker beat Liberty A.C. of Chicago in Milwaukee by a 2-1 score. Two weeks later the Twin Sixes beat F.C. Wacker 3-2 on the field at 48th and Ruby Streets in North Milwaukee in the NCC first qualifying round. On Sunday, November 3, the Nash Twin Sixes hosted the Swedish-American club of Chicago at Nash Stadium in the NCC second qualifying round but the Kenosha team lost 3-2. The Ke-Nash-A team of the WSSFL disbanded during the winter offseason.
Viking A.C. won the 1929-30 WSSFL Division A title by two points over Deutscher Sport Club of Milwaukee. But the Vikings could not repeat the double when they lost to Vienna A.C. in the Wisconsin Challenge Cup semifinals. On May 11, 1930 F.C. Wacker hosted Vienna A.C in the state cup final on Wacker field at 45th and Ruby Streets in Milwaukee. The game ended in a 1-1- draw. A week later, the teams played a replay at Vienna field with the Wackers crushing Vienna 7-0 to win the Wisconsin Challenge Cup. The F.C. Wacker second team won the 1929-30 WSSFL Division B title by two points over second-place Deutscher Sport Club of Racine.
During the summer of 1929, the Sheboygan Sports Club purchased seven acres of land northwest of Sheboygan on the road leading from Calumet Drive to Crystal Springs. During the season the team began playing on a newly created soccer field on the property. And, on June 15, 1930, the five-year-old organization, dedicated a permanent new field know as Sheboygan Soccer Park.
©2022 by Daniel Creel. All rights reserved.